Learn SEO in 10 Seconds
The key to online success when you’re building a content site for the web — regardless of whether that website is a blog or has static content — is the search engine optimization (SEO) of your site.
But, when it comes to SEO, you can spend many hours browsing blogs from so-called SEO experts which have many – often conflicting — ideas.
Therefore, before I show you how to optimize your page, a process which will take you approximately 10 seconds to learn, let’s examine why the SEO experts cannot agree on an optimization approach.
One of the primary reasons for the experts’ disagreements is that they don’t approach the SEO problem from a scientific point of view: in other words, they rely on their own experience and interpretation of their results.
I’ve come across very few SEO experiments which were conducted in a controlled way and which attempted to figure out (for example) what Google’s algorithm is. Unfortunately, most of these scientifically-based SEO approaches are overly complicated: check out SEOmoz.com for example.
The other group of SEO experts — those who take a non-scientific approach — interpret their rankings with their own logic. The problem with this approach is that there are so many factors that affect rankings, that a person cannot possibly know which factor affected what.
For example, let’s say that I have a website with good content and approximately 100 incoming links. I decide to interlink my pages in a different way to see if this changes my rankings.
At the same time, one of 100 the sites that is linking to me from a nice PR1 page, with the anchor text which helps my rankings, gets on the first page of Digg.com. This results in a PR4 link from Digg (later), and a number of other links, because there are many sites that just publish and link to articles that appeared on Digg.
The pagerank of my hypothetical website goes up significantly — and so does the power of the link that they are giving me. The page from where they link to me now becomes a PR3.
Unfortunately, of course, I don’t know that because I cannot track all the links that are going to all the websites that link to me. In short, my page rankings shoot up, but I can only attribute this increase to the fact that I started internlinking my pages differently. »Eureka,« I think to myself, »I found it!«
This is just one example of how almost everyone assessing SEO can be misled.
One final thought relating to keyword density: I have a page that ranks »top 3« in Google, with a keyword density of over 20%, and I have another page that ranks »top 3« in Google with the keyword density of 0,65%.
Given these examples, how can I formulate any conclusions of what works?
And now, as promised, my conclusions about effective SEO: if you want to rank high for a certain keyword in Google, you need to:
– Include that keyword in the title
– Include that keyword in the first sentence
– Include that keyword a few more times in the article
– Include that keyword in the anchor text of the internal and external links to that page
That’s it. Now read that again and time yourself to see how much time you’ll spend learning the SEO that works. 😉
In my opinion, these recommendations represent 95% of effective SEO. The other 5% may include (I say »may« because, as I mentioned earlier, these are just theories for which I haven’t seen any scientific proof or any experiments):
– Using synonyms to the main keyword in the article
– Using variations of the keyword in the anchor text of the incoming links
– Making the visitors stay longer on your page (perhaps using videos)
– … and others
Google claims that they use over 200 factors to rank pages and (of course) we don’t know them.
But the above lesson in SEO, which you can learn in 10 seconds, definitely works: my 5 SBI sites receive around 8000 visitors daily and, of course, most of these visits come from free search engine traffic based on the high rankings of my main keywords.